Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Meagan Roach

All are gelatin silver prints, mounted on 16X20 matte boards.

"The spark for this body of work came when I found an abandoned and burned house
in Mount Pleasant. I felt an intense emotional connection to what I was photographing for a multitude of reasons. The uncomfortable nature of what I was photographing put me in a state of mind that I had never before experienced. The sight of what used to be a family’s life reduced to charred piles and forgotten rubble really put the transient nature of life in perspective.

I began to search for subjects that were decayed, forgotten, and/or left behind.
There was this idea that these structures that had been damaged, or left behind, or
destroyed were still there. The strangest things had survived the abuse inflicted upon them. Not only did they survive, but new life began to grow through them, and many of them became more beautiful than they were before, tempered by fire and time. This body of work is a self portrait. It is a representation myself, even the parts that I cannot share with the people around me."

"Building"

"Chimney"

"Door"

"Downtown"

"Hinge"

"Rust Blossoms"

"Rusted Bins"

"Toys"

"Spider Web"

"Window"

No comments:

Post a Comment